Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$109,400.00 - $180,400.00
What Is the Opportunity?Under general direction, responsible for the profitability, growth and retention of assigned book of business within a territory that is consistent with overall business line objectives. Marketing and underwriting responsibilities typically include: Underwriting new and renewal business on accounts of moderate to high complexity within assigned sub-territory/location(s). As a representative of the company, market to and develop relationships with agents and brokers. Working with Managing Director, implements business strategies to effectively achieve profit and growth objectives for assigned sub-territory/location(s). Working with other business units as appropriate to support market penetration objectives and seeking out cross-sell opportunities. In addition to managing a book of business ranging up to the most complex accounts within an assigned territory, manages a small group of Account Executives. May manage remote employees. Takes a portfolio view of their book of business to manage profitability. Staff management functions include, but are not limited to, coaching, training, planning and performance management in a supportive, team oriented, collaborative manner. The incumbent in this job is a manager.
What Will You Do?
- Underwriting and Pricing:
- Underwrites primarily moderate to high complexity accounts and risks and considers different approaches toward risks to maximize profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits, indemnity, security).
- In support of the business, uses good judgment in making decisions within own underwriting authority and may provide input on more complex accounts.
- Provides input into the development of regional business plans.
- Implements business strategies to effectively achieve business objectives for assigned location(s).
- Initiates collaborative discussions.
- Distribution and Agency Management:
- Effectively manages assigned agents/brokers by developing and maintaining relationships to write and retain accounts consistent with business unit appetite.
- With an increased level of independence, uses a consultative marketing/ sales culture and successfully employs consultative selling approach to market products to agents and brokers.
- Identifies and captures new business opportunities and effectively cross sells market segment and Travelers products/businesses.
- Develops agency sales/business plan and frequently partners with MD to develop region/group sales plan.
- May lead underwriting/agency meetings.
- May attend industry events.
- Negotiates without guidance.
- Executes Strategy and Drives Results:
- Demonstrates leadership, with an increased level of independence, by providing strategic direction and support to staff.
- Drives efforts to achieve quality results and promotes a spirit of always doing the right thing on behalf of the enterprise and the business.
- Business Planning and Collaboration:
- Effectively drives a collaborative business approach and fosters enterprise wide solutions to local business issues.
- Leading Others:
- In addition to leading self, effectively manages all facets of staff performance in order to achieve business objectives.
- Proactively recruits for talent and acquires high caliber people with a diversity of skills and backgrounds.
- Manages performance and provides honest, constructive feedback.
- Provides tangible rewards for significant achievements. Clearly differentiates rewards for top performers.
- Participates in and accountable for the training of less experienced Account Executives.
- Is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor degree preferred
- 4 years of AE/ underwriting experience required
- Typically has 6-8 years of relevant Account Executive experience.
- Industry/Business Knowledge:
- Understands industry business operations and work methods, critical business issues and financial drivers that affect the region and local office.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the local insurance marketplace and effectively uses that knowledge to the Company's advantage; continuously seeks out local market insight; is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaches/ mentors less experienced employees on an ongoing basis.
- Product Knowledge:
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work activities. Regarded as a knowledge resource by team.
- Previous Excess and Surplus/non-admitted underwriting experience preferred.
- Business Perspective: Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the property & casualty industry to make decisions
- Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen: Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize profitability.
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- People Management: Effectively manages all facets of staff performance in order to achieve business objectives.
- Valid drivers license or alternate means of personal transportation.
- CPCU designation preferred in some lines of business.
What is a Must Have?
- 4 years of Account Executive/ underwriting experience required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.