Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$70,200.00 - $115,900.00
What Is the Opportunity?Reports to Boiler and Machinery Field Manager. Conduct boiler and pressure vessel inspections in accordance with jurisdictional rules by performing thorough examinations, identifying hazardous conditions, applying appropriate codes and standards, and recommending corrective actions. Work cooperatively with Boiler and Machinery underwriting and claim groups, in support of helping them make informed decisions to maximize profit and growth. Primarily performs boiler and pressure vessel inspections on all accounts. Under close supervision, performs risk evaluations and claims investigations on less complex accounts as assigned. Participates in individual training opportunities to enhance/develop risk control and product/service knowledge.
This position is based 100% remotely and may include a combination of mobile work and/or work from your primary residence.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- In this role, works with limited guidance and direction to manage jurisdictional inspection workload within an assigned territory. Take ownership of the territory and effectively prioritize, plan, and schedule work. Utilize provided technology resources for maximum efficiency. Respond to customer requests and helps customers understand and mitigate risks associated with equipment breakdowns.
- Conduct boiler and pressure vessel inspections in accordance with jurisdictional rules by performing thorough examinations, identifying hazardous conditions, applying appropriate codes and standards, recommending corrective action and submitting required reports.
- Under moderate supervision performs less complex risk evaluations, evaluate exposures and controls, develops meaningful loss estimates, and communicate findings to business partners.
- Apply critical thinking to determine adequacy of controls preventing equipment breakdown, and overall insurability. Investigate less complex Equipment Breakdown claims as requested by the claim department. Evaluate elements of the breakdown, extent of damage, invoice review, and cause of loss.
- Effectively document, communicate, and report findings.
- Sufficient experience and education to meet the prerequisite requirements for obtaining a National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors' 'Inservice Commission' required.
- Must obtain a National Board 'Inservice Commission' within six months of employment or complete 'National Board Inservice (NB-380) Inspector Training' within six months and then successfully pass the Board exam within two attempts in the following two months.
- Valid driver's license required.
Licensing or Certificates
- National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspector's Inservice commission preferred.
- Military Boiler or Nuclear Power operator certification preferred.
- Civilian Power Boiler Operation Certificate preferred.
- ANSI NDE Level II Examiner Certification preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Technical Skills
- Demonstrates a basic level of understanding of mechanical and electrical principles. Possesses a basic knowledge of predictive and preventive maintenance practices.
- Demonstrates specific engineering/technical skills necessary to achieve established business goals.
- Utilizes Risk Control workstation computer system applications to efficiently manage territorial workload, schedule and complete all job assignments.
- Customer Service
- Identifies customer needs and takes appropriate action to meet those needs.
- Acts with a sense of urgency.
- Demonstrates a commitment to delivering an appropriate level of customer service.
- Problem Solving
- Develops new methods or approaches to getting the work done.
- Evaluates information and makes the right choice (decision).
- Is resourceful in gaining information/resources to solve business problems.
- Interpersonal Skills
- Results driven and takes responsibility for own decisions and actions.
- Manages own work and seeks help as necessary.
- Works independently and in a team environment.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships.
- Clearly expresses ideas.
- Listens to and understands what others are saying.
- Shares information and maintains confidentiality.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Perform all tasks in accordance with the Travelers Boiler & Machinery Safety Program. B&M Risk Control personnel should be certain that proper accident prevention and hygiene controls are in place for all tasks and should not expose themselves to:
- - Unguarded elevations and unsecured ladders, or non-standard or unsafe means of ascent or descent.
- - Confined spaces that have not been verified as having sufficient oxygen, and verified are free of any toxins above OSHA action levels.
- - Confined spaces that contain explosive materials
- - Flammable liquids
- - Asbestos, or any other toxic materials
- - Moving equipment
- - Unguarded machinery
- - Exposed electrical conductors
- - Boilers, pressure vessels and machinery that has not been properly locked out and tagged out to a condition of zero energy of all forms.
- - Eye and ear hazards
- - Extremely hot or cold surfaces or ambient conditions.
- In performing the functions of the position, the employee may be required to:
- - Climb, balance, maneuver, at high levels and in dark places
- - Walk on uneven surfaces
- - Climb through tight openings
- - Work in confined spaces
- Travel Requirements: Travel Frequently
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that we can deliver the very best products and services when our workforce reflects the diverse customers and communities we serve. We are committed to recruiting, retaining and developing the diverse talent of all of our employees and fostering an inclusive workplace, where we celebrate differences, promote belonging, and work together to deliver extraordinary results.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.