Commercial Underwriter - Excess & Surplus Lines
Quote and bind new commercial business through several top-rated insurance companies. Provide customer service to agencies as well as insurance companies. Travel to both agencies and companies’ multiple times throughout the year.
- Create and maintain company and agency relationships
- Achieve written premium and income goals set by management on a quarterly basis
- Comprehend and maintain underwriting manuals for all companies represented
- Travel as deemed necessary by the management, to both agencies & company conventions
- Comfortable discussing team goals and actively participating in achieving these goals
- Adhere to company-wide minimum service standards
- Knowledge of the independent agency system and economics - assess the capacity of market, territory and individual agencies to identify and act on growth opportunities.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with business partners.
- Demonstrate accountability for the assigned territory by being innovative and identifying and implementing opportunities for improvement in results.
- Must be innovative and creative
- Pursue education to enhance industry knowledge
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Work Experience:
- One to three years of experience and a Risk Management and Insurance degree from an accredited college or an Associate in Underwriting or Associate in Surplus Lines Insurance or three years of Property and Casualty Underwriting experience or experience in a related field
Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Capacity to analyze information and mathematical aptitude
- Knowledge of all applicable rating systems
- Knowledge of all underwriting and rate/rule manuals
- Proficiency in on-line reference manuals
- Knowledge of underwriting principles
- Knowledge of policy forms
- Ability to recognize exposure to loss
- Research skills
- Attention to detail
- Decision making
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, make quick decisions and be flexible in a fast-paced environment
- Computer experience a must, MS Word & Excel experience required
- Minimum 50wpm typing speed
- Team Player and Mentor to UWI
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Interest in selling products and services based on customer needs
- Ability to clearly and effectively present (both written and verbal) to external business partners, management and internal business partners, and maintain professional business appearance.
- Exhibits a professional appearance when representing the organization during agency visits or business meetings.
- Strong knowledge of the Property-Casualty Industry.
- Knowledge of Commercial Lines Products - ability to differentiate J&J products/services from competitors.
- Strong negotiation skills.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Must be able to lift-up to 25 lbs., must be able to sit for long periods of time, must be able to drive a motor vehicle.