Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$139,800.00 - $230,600.00
What Is the Opportunity?The Small Commercial Controller is a critical role at Travelers, providing leadership and oversight across the strategically important five small commercial business units, totaling more than $4 billion in GWP. The controller position reports to the CFO for Small Commercial and has regular interactions with the Small Commercial and Business Insurance Finance leadership teams. Core responsibilities include all controllership functions and overseeing accounting and reporting activities, to generating insightful management information to understand results and drive better business outcomes, throuhg reviewing and influencing the Travelers' SEC documents (10K's, 10Q's. etc.). Additionally, this role oversees all internal control and accounting policy matters pertaining to Small Commercial and partners closely with the Travelers' Chief Accounting Office's group when and where appropriate. This role is a key leadership position across the Business Insurance Finance team.
What Will You Do?
Oversees the accurate and timely close of all Small Commercial books & records.
Delivers informative financial reporting to explain historical results, while also delivering business insights to influence the business for better outcomes to the Small Commercial Leadership team.
A key member of the Business Insurance (~$20 billion in GWP) Controllership team in setting and managing accounting polices, internal control protocols and financial analysis tools.
Interfaces with all other functions that impact Business Insurance results (e.g. Billing, Premium Audit, etc.)
Plays a critical role in developing processes, controls and reporting for unique transactions (e.g. M&A, reinsurance)
Leverage business perspectives to lead robust financial analyses and operational perspectives with a focus on key performance metrics (i.e. production, profitability, expense management, staffing).
Lead the development and creation of overall financial/business plan, budget, and forecasts.
Partner with and influence across multiple functions in order to develop strong analyses and financial and strategic plans.
Oversee internal management based financial reporting for complete and consistent results with corporate policies and standards.
Oversee creation, accuracy and completeness of external financial statements which may include GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), SEC and STAT (Statutory Accounting Principles) with a comprehensive view of the impact they have on the organization.
Develop, maintain, and certify complex financial controls in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
Establish policy and oversee documentation to support internal and external audits while building and managing relationships with internal and external auditors.
Oversee and ensure compliance with various financial external regulatory requirements and internal accounting policies.
Oversee implementation of business and financial regulatory changes related to financial reporting, such as reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, etc.
Provide coaching, training, and mentoring.
As a manager of people, you will provide leadership, coaching, training, planning, staffing, and performance management and development to employees, in addition to ensuring the understanding of departmental objectives, vision, and strategy.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, economics, and/or professional designations, such as CPA, CMA or comparable advanced professional education.
- Extensive experience with Financial Analysis concepts, principles, processes, applications and accounting practices and principles within the insurance and financial services industry.
- Exceptional communication, collaboration, and influencing skills with the ability to present and influence complex information to senior leadership and functional partners in relevant business terms.
- Exceptional data analysis skills with the ability to interpret trends and report insights and recommendations to business partners.
- A proven track record as a leader who is well-respected and highly organized, with the ability to mentor, coach, and develop team members and strategically align resources to accomplish key objectives.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and planning effective strategies, with the ability to lead a team to implement those strategies.
- Experience using Microsoft Office (e.g., Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint) and Financial Reporting Software (e.g., TM1, Essbase, Hyperion, etc.).
- Strong business acumen, with the ability to problem-solve, think critically and operate strategically across the company.
What is a Must Have?
- Minimum 7 years of related work experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of management experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.