Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$65,500.00 - $108,100.00
What Is the Opportunity?Travelers Bond & Specialty Insurance (B&SI) has an exciting and unique opportunity with exposure to both our Finance and Actuarial functions. Do you have experience and/or interest in furthering your skillset in both of these disciplines? This role will provide a perspective that few others will be able to experience as you sit at the intersection of financial reporting for both Actuarial and Finance. This role will focus on financial reporting tasks within Actuarial, which includes monthly and quarterly close, reserve review consolidation, and financial planning responsibilities. The role interacts with the reserving and pricing Actuarial teams, but also works closely with Finance and B&SI management to execute on and interpret reserving recommendations and actions. The individual in this role is expected to have a high level of partnership within assigned unit and across projects, and be an influential member of project teams, providing analytical insights to leadership and Business unit partners.
In the B&SI community we have an inclusive culture where everyone feels that they can be authentic, are valued, respected, and have a voice that is heard. You'll find our team to be mutually supportive of each other, focused on celebrating our shared successes. We are passionate about learning and helping our team members develop the skills and relationships they need to advance their career.
What Will You Do?
Monthly close responsibilities include items such as LRRS maintenance, compiling the Loss Ratio Roll-forward, supporting catastrophe analysis, income reconciliation and earned rate functions. Quarterly close responsibilities include supporting Profit and Performance Measures, financial balance sheet results, as well as various external supplements. Reserve review consolidation includes supporting six Business Units with various activities that require a strong underlying sense of data, balancing, and downstream impacts. Specific responsibilities include Reserve Difference, preparing supporting summary exhibits and assisting with audit requests. Financial Plan responsibilities include compiling detailed loss ratio plans, the model load function and assisting Finance on understanding the detailed impacts. Various other responsibilities include ROE model inputs, rate adequacy support, and responding to audit inquiries. The candidate will gain a strong sense of management liability and surety lines of business, and the connections between loss reserving and the balance sheet.
Successful candidates must be comfortable navigating complex processes involving many interdependent spreadsheets and multiple data sources. They must be able to effective prioritize competing demands under tight timeframes, balancing speed and precision. Must be detail oriented with strong problem solving skills, and have the ability to understand how results from each process impacts others. Strong written and verbal communications skills are required.
Ideal candidates should have experience with loss reserving and financial reporting concepts. Specific tools used daily include Excel, Smart View, Dodeca, SQL and Essbase.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's degree in finance or accounting preferred.
- Typically 3-4 years of related experience.
- General knowledge of Financial Analysis concepts and processes.
- General Knowledge: Possesses sufficient knowledge to perform most work in normal situations.
- General knowledge of the insurance business.
- Intermediate analytic skills.
- General knowledge of accounting practices and principles.
- Intermediate data utilization skills to access and gather data, including a basic understanding of what the data represents.
- Intermediate written and verbal communication skills.
- Intermediate time management/ prioritization skills.
- Intermediate ability to solve problems and suggest solutions to problems.
- Takes responsibility for decisions and actions.
- Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Office (e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Intermediate project management skills.
- Ability to identify customers needs and take appropriate action to meet those needs.
- Ability to work well in tight timeframes and deadlines.
- Intermediate skill/competency level: demonstrates solid knowledge and ability; can apply the competency with minimal or no guidance, in the full range of typical situations. Requires guidance handling novel or more complex situations.
What is a Must Have?
- Minimum of 2 years of related experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.