Middle Market Commercial Lines Field Underwriter (Remote)
American National is an established, stable, and successful multi-line insurance corporation that has provided financial strength and a sense of security to employees, customers and business partners since 1905. We've been recognized by Forbes as one of America's most trustworthy financial companies and best mid-sized employers. With focus on our organization's values and cultural richness: Financial Strength, Integrity, Respect, Service and Teamwork (FIRST) and Agility, Collaboration, and Engagement (ACE) we continue to pursue our vision to be a leading provider of financial products and services for current and future generations.
What's in it for you?
American National supports a comfortable, diverse, and inclusive work environment, following a casual dress code and focus on healthy work-life balance. We understand that comprehensive benefits are important which is why we offer a generous package that includes: medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, matching 401(k), paid time off, paid holidays, tuition reimbursement, health-wellness initiatives, and a volunteer program where employees are provided PTO for giving their time to a charity of choice, and referral bonuses! We also offer a comprehensive wellness program that includes onsite fitness centers and classes or discounted gym memberships, free health screenings, free flu shots, and more.Field Underwriter
American National is seeking a Commercial Field Underwriter for our P&C Underwriting team focused on middle market Commercial and Agribusiness accounts. This position is responsible for working primarily in the field with our agency partners located in the Northeast or Great Atlantic Regions of the U.S. The ideal candidate will reside in the Northeast or Great Atlantic region, allowing for necessary travel within their assigned territory. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, underwriting a diverse book of business (new business and renewals); evaluating complex risk scenarios or situations; contributing to target growth, profitability, and loss metrics for assigned book of business. This is a field-based role, and it is anticipated that half or more of an individual's time will be spent working in the field with agents.
• Establish agent relationships within defined territory and collaborate to develop and implement a territory growth and profitability plan.
• Work with agents regarding prospecting, risk assessment, case development and sales support; including joint presentations for prospective and current clients.
• Balance the goal of obtaining new business with underwriting discipline.
• Clearly communicate appetite, declination reasons and coverage advantages to agents.
• Own all aspects of the new business underwriting process. This includes the pricing, coverage review, and documentation of the underwriting file.
• Gain knowledge and understanding of market conditions, product innovations and competitive landscape and make recommendations to the regional product manager for product offerings or modifications based on findings.
• Independently lead and coordinate projects outside normal job duties which may involve working with others within and outside the department.
• Six (6) + years of Commercial Lines and/or Agribusiness Underwriting experience is required.
• A valid driver's license with acceptable driving record is required.
• Sales or marketing-related experience is preferred within the P&C insurance industry.
• Strong professional image, capable of gaining credibility when meeting and presenting to agents and/or prospective clients.
• Demonstrated analytical problem-solving skills, such as the ability to use a systematic approach in solving problems by identifying the problem, developing a course of action, implementing action to affect a solution, and measuring the effectiveness of the action taken.
• Possess excellent presentation skills, including the ability to prepare, organize, develop, and present completed materials.
• Highly self-motivated and self-confident. Must have passion for quality and customer service.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word). Must have the ability to apply applications to job function.
• Bachelor's degree and/or industry designations (ex. CPCU, ARM, AU) preferred, but not required.
Salary for this position can range from $81,885 for candidates who are minimally qualified through $122,828 for more highly qualified candidates. Candidates outside of the range are encouraged to apply, and will be considered based on experience, skill and education.
The preceding job posting was designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees assigned to this position. It is not intended to be interpreted as a comprehensive list of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications.
American National's recruitment policies help us place individuals in a timely and efficient manner. Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted by our recruiting team. Candidates may check the status of their application(s) by logging into our Career Portal.
American National is an equal opportunity employer, committed to enhancing a diverse and inclusive environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.