Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.
Salary Range$65,500.00 - $108,100.00
What Is the Opportunity?Under Moderate Supervision, responsible for conducting and documenting complex financial analysis projects/assignments. Position does not manage others, but may serve as a team lead. Team Lead: Directs daily work activities of a small group of employees. Works with higher level manager to set goals/objectives and provides input regarding performance of employees being led. Moderate Supervision: Incumbent performs standard and routine assignments independently to conclusion; unusual problems which may require exceptions to procedures or processes to set priorities and meet specific goals and objectives of the function or unit.
Core responsibility is the production of timely and accurate creation of monthly and quarterly production reporting for the Small Commercial Specialty businesses representing approximately $1.2B in premium. Core functions focus on production of monthly reporting packages, ad hoc analysis as needed, identifying and analyzing variances to plan/prior year, and input of monthly projections and annual plan. Strong collaboration and communication with business and cross function teams is a necessity (actuarial, underwriting, operations, billing, GAAP team, IM&A).
What Will You Do?
- Prepare, evaluate and validate complex internal and/or external financial and operational reports, both routine and ad-hoc.
- Perform analysis and interpretation of trends and variances in business performance, interacting with cross functional peers on a frequent basis. Validate analyses.
- Identify and use appropriate tools to obtain, compile and analyze more complex data necessary to support more advanced financial reports and analysis, and provide input on potential tool utilization enhancements.
- Assist in tactical production of financial plan in support of the Business plan and forecast for the organization (annual, ongoing and long term).
- Synthesize and present exhibits, results, observations, recommendations to direct manager, team members and/or cross functional peers.
- Assist in tactical production of overall strategic plan, including the understanding of impact of competitor, market and industry landscape.
- Apply basic accounting and financial concepts and controls to provide input on the development, implementation or enhancement of financial, operations and business applications.
- Prepare complex and review routine financial activities for various lines of business including journal entries and account reconciliation.
- Prepare external financial statements including, but not limited to GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), SEC and STAT (Statutory Accounting Principles) .
- Perform financial controls in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What Will Our Ideal Candidate Have?
- Bachelor's degree in finance or accounting preferred.
- Typically 3-4 years of related experience.
- General knowledge of Financial Analysis concepts and processes.
- General Knowledge: Possesses sufficient knowledge to perform most work in normal situations.
- General knowledge of the insurance business.
- Intermediate analytic skills.
- General knowledge of accounting practices and principles.
- Intermediate data utilization skills to access and gather data, including a basic understanding of what the data represents.
- Intermediate written and verbal communication skills.
- Intermediate time management/ prioritization skills.
- Intermediate ability to solve problems and suggest solutions to problems.
- Takes responsibility for decisions and actions.
- Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Office (e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Intermediate project management skills.
- Ability to identify customers needs and take appropriate action to meet those needs.
- Ability to work well in tight timeframes and deadlines.
- Intermediate skill/competency level: demonstrates solid knowledge and ability; can apply the competency with minimal or no guidance, in the full range of typical situations. Requires guidance handling novel or more complex situations.
What is a Must Have?
- Minimum of 2 years of related experience.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members - including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of 20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company Holidays.
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed therapist.
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved. Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.