Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryInnovative thinking, creative problem-solving, and a determination to challenge the status-quo. These are some of the defining qualities for participants of our Data Science Leadership Development Program (DSLDP). This three-year rotational program is designed to grow and develop your data science and self-leadership skills. Each rotation will consist of a combination of hands-on experience, access to a robust Data Science curriculum, and a formal mentoring program to prepare you for a dynamic career. You will have the opportunity to explore multiple functions of analytics while learning from different leaders within Travelers.
As a Data Scientist LDP Consultant, you will join our organization as we grow and transform our analytics landscape. In this role, you will analyze large, complex data sources to generate actionable insights and solutions that better serve our customers, interact with business partners to identify questions and issues for data analysis and experiments, use statistical and machine learning algorithms to build sophisticated models that solve important business problems, use appropriate artificial intelligence techniques to analyze imagery, text, and other unstructured data, communicate insights and findings from analysis and experiments to a leadership team that understands the importance of analytics, and collaborate with technology partners to drive analytics out to our products in the marketplace.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
The program is multi-faceted and offers a data science curriculum focused on analytics, insurance, strategy, leading self and influencing others. Other program components include formal mentoring, networking and career guidance.
DSLDP participant duties will vary based on the specific rotation. You will:
- Perform tasks to support the development of analytical solutions following defined processes.
- Develop working relationships with primary working group.
- Learn domain and business knowledge to perform assigned steps to build statistical models.
- Communicate (written and verbal) analysis, insights, and results to manager and primary working group.
- Develop your understanding of key business areas (e.g., product, enterprise, industry, claim process and competitors) that enable project work.
- A Bachelor's degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Decision Sciences, Actuarial Science, or a related analytical STEM field is required.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States now and in the future.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Master's in STEM related field or equivalent.
- Has completed at least 7 of the courses outlined below:
- Advanced Statistics
- Mathematical Statistics
- Statistics & Probability
- Time Series
- Regression Analysis
- Multivariate Statistics
- Computational Statistics
Data Science Tools:
- Machine Learning
- Signal Processing
- Natural Language Processing
- Business Analytics
- Business Intelligence
- Data Science
- Data Analytics
- Operations Research
- Linear Algebra
- Stochastic Calculus
- Differential Equations
- Discrete Math
- Numerical Analysis
- Mathematical Modeling
- Data Mining
- Data Modeling
- Database Modeling
- Database Design
- Data Warehousing
- Predictive Modeling
- Data Analysis
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Accountability: Strong track record of taking ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance, and results.
- Analytical and Critical Thinking: Demonstrated aptitude in identifying current or future problems or opportunities, analyzing data, synthesizing and comparing information to understand issues, identifying cause/effect relationships and exploring alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Change Management/Resilience: Ability to remain energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Customer Focus: Proven customer service skills with the ability to provide service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Emotional Intelligence: Demonstrated track record of self and social awareness, empathy and balances confidence with humility.
- Interpersonal: Excellent communication skills with the ability to actively engage with others while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Capability of exercising sound judgment, making decisions and committing to a position.
- Leveraging Differences: Proven capacity to works with and include people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and view those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Relationship Management: Strong relationship management skills including the ability to seek out, build, foster and maintain productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Teamwork: Ability to work together in situations when actions are interdependent, and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Work Ethic: Possession of a strong drive to do what it takes to get the job done; inquisitive and demonstrates a strong willingness to learn.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.