Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryOversee strategic general agency relationships with delegated binding authority within an assigned territory. Under general supervision, responsible for driving new business growth and executing renewal directives, while maintaining profitability objectives across the agency assignment. Marketing and underwriting responsibilities include: Collaborate with general agents on underwriting approach and acceptability. Review over-authority exception referrals. Provide exceptional customer service. Perform required underwriting audits and provide coaching to general agents to ensure adherence to Northfield's underwriting requirements and standards. Independently manage assigned territories. May occasionally seek assistance from a senior level Account Executive or manager on more complex accounts. Takes a portfolio view of their book of business to manage profitability. The incumbent in this job does not manage others.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to support flexibility.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Underwriting and Pricing:
- Underwrites primarily moderately complex accounts and risks and considers different approaches toward risks to maximize profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits, indemnity, security).
- Uses good judgment in making decisions within own underwriting authority and makes recommendations on other accounts to meet business objectives.
- Initiates collaborative discussions.
Distribution and Agency Management:
- Effectively manages assigned agents/brokers by developing and maintaining relationships to write and retain accounts consistent with business unit appetite.
- Frequently meets with agents/brokers and insureds in order to build and maintain business relationship.
- Uses consultative marketing / sales skills and successfully employs a consultative selling approach to market products to agents and brokers.
- Identifies and captures new business opportunities and effectively cross sells market segment and Travelers products/businesses.
- Develops agency sales/business plan and frequently partners with MD to develop region/group sales plan.
- Negotiates skillfully in difficult situations.
Executes Strategy and Drives Results:
- Develops and executes on a plan to meet business objectives.
- Anticipates and identifies moderately complex underwriting/marketing problems, thoroughly analyzes available information and makes timely practical decisions.
Business Planning and Collaboration:
- Fosters collaboration within the business unit and across the enterprise. Seeks enterprise-wide solutions to business problems.
- Assists less experienced employees when appropriate.
- In addition to leading self, may coach less experienced staff members.
- May participate in the training of less experienced\ Account Executives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Responsible for profitability, growth and retention of an assigned book of business. Oversees and maintains underwriting responsibility for E&S brokerage accounts within account authority with general supervision. Independently establishes the marketing strategy for individual accounts/book of business in accordance with overall business strategy. Has a solid understanding of the business, agents and brokers. Leverages agent/broker relationships to drive new business opportunities and to retain existing relationships. May coach less experienced Account Executives.
- 2 years of Account Executive/ underwriting experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelors degree preferred.
- In some lines of business, relevant agent/broker experience may be appropriate.
- Typically has 3-5 years of relevant Account Executive experience.
- Previous Excess and Surplus/non-admitted underwriting experience preferred.
- Understands the local insurance marketplace, industry business operations, critical issues and financial drivers that affect the region and local office.
- Continuously seeks out market insight and uses acquired knowledge to assist less experienced employees.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work activities.
- Uses acquired skills and knowledge to assist less experienced employees.
Licensing or Certificates
- Valid drivers license or alternate means of personal transportation.
- CPCU designation preferred in some lines of business.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the property & casualty industry to make decisions.
Analytical thinking/Financial Acumen:
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize profitability.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit http://careers.travelers.com/life-at-travelers/benefits/.