Group Underwriting-Lead Consultant (Allstate Benefits) REMOTE
The world isnt standing still, and neither is Allstate. Were moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers evolving needs. Thats why now is an exciting time to join our team. Youll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
Youll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from lifes uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For more than 89 years weve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatevers coming next to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. Weve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We dont follow the trends. We set them.Job Summary
Responsible for the review and evaluation of larger, more complex cases for new business proposals and in-force renewal business. Directly or indirectly involved in more difficult rating calculations with a greater degree of financial impact which may require discussion with senior leadership. Additional job functions include the modification of existing accounts. contract revisions, and other policyowner service work having a high level of risk and significant financial impact to the company. Mentorship of lower level underwriters including case reviews, evaluations and approval of work. May require attendance in meetings in the managers absenceKey Responsibilities
- Analyze all data related to the risk for jumbo sized cases, to determine appropriate benefit amounts and cost
- Using ABs workflow management tools, thoroughly document the thought processes to support decisions
- Conducts research to secure additional data needed to make determinations on benefits and premiums.
- Reviews requests for master policy changes to determine eligibility
- Continually communicates with sales, brokers and other sources concerning underwriting decisions and procedures
- Serves as point of contact for areas outside of direct team and takes on assignments without direct supervision
- Focuses on implementing and executing strategies within the team / department
- Develops in-depth ideas and materials; ensures understanding of technical matters by non-technical decision makers
- Makes recommendations to management regarding account analysis and underwriting risk decisions at and above authority level
- Engaged in process improvement revising current practices and developing innovative solutions
- Leverages quantitative, qualitative and trend data to draw conclusions and to help drive business results
- Involvement in projects having direct or indirect impact on group underwriting
- Mentor less experience team members by providing guidance and expertise
- Create, develop and implement training sessions
- Directs implementation of new programs and initiatives
- Act as a technical resource and subject matter expert
- Attend meetings as a management representative
- May require some minor supervisory responsibilities
- Authority to review and approve proposals up to 2,000+ eligible lives
This job does not have supervisory duties
Education and Experience
- 5 or more years of related experience
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Advanced knowledge of Underwriting concepts, practices, and procedures and the ability to creatively apply them
- Highly Analytical and Detail Oriented with strong Mathematical proficiency
- Financial aptitude for understanding pricing strategies and their potential impact on financial results
- Professional demeanor, with the ability to make presentations
- Superior communication skills (oral, written, presentation, email/phone etiquette)
- Strong decision maker, creative thinker and problem solver, multi-tasker, process improvement driven
- Project management skills
- Prior management or supervisor experience preferred
The starting salary for this position is $79,500 commensurate with experience.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.For a full description of Allstates benefits, visit allstate.jobs/benefits/
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click here for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click here for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the EEO is the Law poster click here. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click here. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Companys policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employees ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.