Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Underwriting new and renewal business.
- Building and maintaining productive relationships with agents and brokers.
- Consistently achieving superior budgeted financial results.
- Collaborating with Business Unit and region colleagues as well as internal/external business associates.
- Sales, agency development and management.
- Portfolio management at the BU strategy level.
- Managing a staff.
- This includes mentoring, training, planning and performance management in a supportive, team-oriented collaborative manner.
- Time spent is split between managing a book of business and managing/leading employees.
Underwriting & Pricing:
- Underwrites and assesses risk for large renewals and new business items in conjunction with BU strategies.
- Considers different approaches toward risks to maximize profitability.
- Makes appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority.
- Underwrites the most demanding and most complex accounts/risks.
- Manages the submission and underwriting process for own agency plant.
- Is a region/group resource for less experienced underwriters.
- Can easily articulate whether or not account is within or outside underwriting appetite/strategy, along with the reasons for that determination.
- Is seen as a teacher to less experienced underwriters regarding appetite/strategy.
- Independently sets account strategy, and may partner with MD to set strategy for the group/Regional BU.
- Makes recommendations to underwriter 2, as appropriate.
- As Underwriter 2, ensures that policies and accounts are effectively underwritten handled and documented in compliance with Business Unit and regulatory standards and requirements.
- Calculates key ratios and the most complex financial metrics, drawing conclusions about the financial health of an account; In addition to, or in lieu of, financials, may review other key metrics; makes decisions regarding pricing, capacity, terms and conditions based on those analyses on the most complex accounts.
- Proactively collaborates with regional and Home Office underwriters.
- Maintains accurate underwriting documentation and information.
- Meets quality assurance standards.
- Is a region/group resident expert and is seen as a leader in the marketplace/agency plant. May be seen as an industry expert.
- Underwriting Operations:
- Manages flow of new and renewal business.
- Coaches/manages others on operational standards and workflow.
- Agency Management/Relationship Building:
- Leads agency training sessions. Is sought out by broker/agent for his/her expertise regarding industry and local issues.
- Primary agency or broker relationship is producer/internal broker.
- Leverages agent/broker relationships to drive new business opportunities via existing relationships as well as where there is no existing relationship; continually prospects for new opportunities.
- Achieves and/or surpasses agency/broker visibility goals.
- Acts as a business partner to agents and brokers.
- A minimum of 4 years of underwriting experience is required.
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 6+ years of underwriting experience preferred.
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Industry Knowledge:
- Understands industry business operations and work methods, critical business issues and financial drivers that affect the Company, Business Unit, region and local office.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the local insurance marketplace and effectively uses that knowledge to the Company's advantage; continuously seeks out
- local market insight from others; is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaches / mentors less experienced employees on a regular basis.
- Resident expert on Business Unit products/coverages and pricing and the links to strategy. Is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaches / mentors less experienced employees on a regular basis.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work.
Licensing or Certificates
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Able to proficiently use all Bond and Specialty Insurance technology tools.
- Can resolve significant conflict within and outside the organization without damaging relationships; is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaching/mentors others regarding successful negotiations.
- Able to use effective strategies to facilitate organizational change initiatives and overcome resistance to change.
- Is skilled at analyzing problems and making clear decisions.
- Can align resources to accomplish key objectives; can assign clear accountability for important objectives.
- Understands the perspectives of different functional areas in the organization; has a firm grasp of external conditions affecting the organization.
- Able to maintain smooth, effective working relationships; promotes effective teamwork.
- Knows how to build and maintain working relationships with co-workers and external parties; can negotiate and handle work problems without alienating people; understands others and is able to get their cooperation in non-authority relationships.
- Can work effectively with people who differ in race, gender, culture, age, or background; able to leverage the unique talents of others to enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Able to delegate to employees effectively, can broaden employee opportunities, acts with fairness toward direct reports, and can hire talented people for his/her team.
- Able to coach and encourage employees to develop in their careers.
- Can express ideas clearly and concisely; able to disseminate information about decisions, plans and activities.
- Has effective listening skills and can communication to involve others, build consensus, and influence others in decision making.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.