Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryUnder general supervision, has joint responsibility with the field AE partner for the profitability, growth and retention of aligned book of business within a territory that is consistent with overall business line objectives. Marketing and underwriting responsibilities typically include: Underwriting business on lower touch, eligible accounts with moderate complexity. As a representative of the company, virtually markets to and develops relationships with agents and brokers. Works with field AEs as appropriate to support market penetration objectives and seeks out cross-sell opportunities. Works in small teams to manage aligned territory. May occasionally seek assistance from a senior level Account Executive or manager on more challenging accounts. Takes a portfolio view of their book of business to manage profitability.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Underwriting and Pricing:
- Underwrites primarily moderately complex accounts and risks and considers different approaches toward risks to maximize profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits, indemnity, security).
- Uses good judgment in making decisions within own underwriting authority and makes recommendations on other accounts to meet business objectives. Is comfortable doing this in a fast paced environment.
- Initiates collaborative discussions.
- Efficiently manages the life cycle of aligned book in accordance with established workflow guidelines.
Distribution and Agency Management:
- Effectively manages assigned agents/brokers by developing and maintaining relationships to write and retain accounts consistent with business unit appetite.
- Virtually builds and maintains customer satisfaction with cohesive communications, products and services that are consistent with the Business Center quality and productivity goals.
- Uses consultative marketing/ sales skills and successfully employs a consultative selling approach to virtually market products to agents and brokers.
- In partnership with the field, executes sales strategies to achieve targeted growth strategies.
- Negotiates skillfully in difficult situations.
Executes Strategy and Drives Results:
- Develops and executes on a plan to meet business objectives.
- Anticipates and identifies moderately complex underwriting/marketing problems, thoroughly analyzes available information and makes timely practical decisions.
Business Planning and Collaboration:
- Fosters collaboration within the business center and across the enterprise. Seeks enterprise-wide solutions to business problems. Assists less experienced employees when appropriate.
- In addition to leading self, may coach less experienced staff members.
- May participate in the training of less experienced Account Executives.
- 2 years of Account Executive/underwriting experience required. Relevant agent/broker experience may be appropriate.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Typically has 3-5 years of relevant Account Executive experience.
- Previous multi-line underwriting preferred.
- Understands the local insurance marketplace, industry business operations, critical issues and financial drivers that affect the region and local office.
- Continuously seeks out market insight and uses acquired knowledge to assist less experienced employees.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work activities.
- Uses acquired skills and knowledge to assist less experienced employees.
Licensing or Certificates
- CPCU designation preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the property & casualty industry to make decisions.
Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen:
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize profitability.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- The salary range in Colorado for this position is $74,700 to $112,000
- To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit.
- All employees are eligible for performance-based cash awards, either through Travelers annual bonus program or through the Reward and Recognition (R&R) program.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.