Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThe National Accounts Finance team is seeking a Sr Financial Consultant who will have responsibility for the execution of key planning & forecasting deliverables for the National Accounts Plan and monthly re-forecast. Under the direction of the Director of the FP&A group, the individual in this role will be responsible for performing analysis of the book of business to help identify trends and develop metrics that will assist senior leadership in developing business strategy. The ideal candidate will regularly seek out efficiencies to further streamline processes via collaboration with various members throughout the National Accounts Group Finance and Business organization.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepare, evaluate and validate complex internal and/or external financial and operational reports, both routine and ad-hoc.
- Perform analysis and interpretation of trends and variances in business performance, interacting with cross functional peers on a frequent basis. Validate analyses.
- Identify and use appropriate tools to obtain, compile and analyze more complex data necessary to support more advanced financial reports and analysis, and provide input on potential tool utilization enhancements.
- Assist in tactical production of financial plan in support of the Business plan and forecast for the organization (annual, ongoing and long term).
- Synthesize and present exhibits, results, observations, recommendations to direct manager, team members and/or cross functional peers.
- Assist in tactical production of overall strategic plan, including the understanding of impact of competitor, market and industry landscape.
- Apply basic accounting and financial concepts and controls to provide input on the development, implementation or enhancement of financial, operations and business applications.
- Prepare complex and review routine financial activities for various lines of business including journal entries and account reconciliation.
- Prepare external financial statements including, but not limited to GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles), SEC and STAT (Statutory Accounting Principles) .
- Perform financial controls in accordance with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 2 years of related experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree in finance or accounting preferred.
- Typically 3-4 years of related experience.
- General knowledge of Financial Analysis concepts and processes.
- General Knowledge: Possesses sufficient knowledge to perform most work in normal situations.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- General knowledge of the insurance business.
- Intermediate analytic skills.
- General knowledge of accounting practices and principles.
- Intermediate data utilization skills to access and gather data, including a basic understanding of what the data represents.
- Intermediate written and verbal communication skills.
- Intermediate time management/ prioritization skills.
- Intermediate ability to solve problems and suggest solutions to problems.
- Takes responsibility for decisions and actions.
- Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Office (e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Intermediate project management skills.
- Ability to identify customers needs and take appropriate action to meet those needs.
- Ability to work well in tight timeframes and deadlines.
- Intermediate skill/competency level: demonstrates solid knowledge and ability; can apply the competency with minimal or no guidance, in the full range of typical situations. Requires guidance handling novel or more complex situations.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.