Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThe Sr. Consultant, Data Analytics Engineer performs data acquisition, preparation, and performs analysis leveraging a variety of data programming techniques.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Data Analysis, Acquisition, Preparation, and Exploration:
- Independently review, prepare, design and integrate moderately complex (type, quality, volume) data, correcting problems and recommend data cleansing/quality solutions to issues.
- Apply moderate data derivations and assist with complex business transformation rules and data requirements.
- Perform analysis of moderately complex (type, quality, volume) sources to determine value and use. Recommend data to include in analytical projects.
- Create simple (technology and features) data visualization techniques to help support data exploration.
- Data Solutions & Analytic Implementations:
- Operationalize and automate moderately complex (more systems, data sets and streams, size of data sets more substantial) data products independently.
- Build, test, and implement moderately complex analytic business processes, including pilots and proof of concepts.
- Apply knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions within the context of assigned projects and/or enhancements.
- Data Culture:
- May present complex information to next level of management.
- Work within Travelers standards, processes, and protocols.
- Incorporate core data management competencies - data governance, data security, data quality.
- Share knowledge and Independently train business users on data products/analytic environment when necessary.
- 3 years of relevant experience with data tools, techniques, and manipulation required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- College Degree in STEM related field
- Technical Knowledge:
- Intermediate knowledge of data tools, techniques, and manipulation preferred. Examples (but not limited to):
- Big data and Cloud platforms
- Programming languages - SAS, SQL, Spark, Python, Hive, AWS
- Visualization platforms: QlikView, Tableau, MicroStrategy and Qlik Sense
- 4 years of relevant experience with data tools, techniques, and manipulation preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Communication Skills:
- Ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication based on audience.
- Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team members - including active listening and effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Effectively contributes and communicates with the immediate team.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Able to recognize and analyze business and data issues of intermediate complexity with minimal supervision.
- Able to recognize when escalation is necessary.
- Able to leverage previous experience to consider a variety of alternatives to arrive at a timely, practical, and cost-effective solution to resolve defects or incidents.
- Relationship Management:
- Ability to foster relationships with peers to achieve objectives.
- Practices objectivity and openness to others' views.
- Able to recognize and support team priorities.
- Works with other technical areas to achieve project/department or division goals.
- Planning and Project Management:
- Able to manage time and competing priorities and provide management with accurate and timely status information.
- Able to accurately evaluate and estimate tasks.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.