Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryThis is an opportunity to work with a diverse and team oriented claim group to impact General Liability claims. After a year you will have the opportunity to work three days a week from home. If you have are seeking a work/life balance and an innovative company that is leading trends, Travelers could be for you!
Under moderate supervision, this role supports the claim professional to develop the medical resolution strategy and serves as a technical resource to provide proactive medical expertise for claim staff.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Interpret routine, complex or unique medical information.
- Evaluate medical treatment to determine whether it was/is reasonable, necessary and causally related.
- Discuss medical information with claim handler to assist in developing claim medical resolution strategy.
- Assist claim handler in projecting medical costs of claims.
- Provide medical expertise by attending roundtables. GL may include mediations, arbitrations, pre-trial conferences, depositions and trials with claim staff.
- Provide medical expertise to defense counsel.
- Research medical information to support the claim review process.
- Identify medical trends for use in developing and recommending training programs.
- Respond to claim requests for training as needed.
- Provide objective, concise documentation of medical review in approved report format or in claim notes.
- Maintain accurate productivity records.
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- Registered Nurse; Licensed Practical Nurse or Licensed Vocational Nurse required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Strong knowledge of medical causation and relatedness required/Intermediate Level.
- Knowledge of jurisdiction-specific medical guidelines preferred.
- At least 2 years prior clinical experience preferred from a critical care setting
- Medical Consultant license is a plus
- RN is preferred
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Strong research and analytical thinking skills preferred.
- Effective time management and organizational skills preferred.
- Very strong oral and written communication skills preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills preferred.
- Good computer skills to include Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook preferred.
- Analytical Thinking - Basic Preferred
- Judgment/Decision-making - Basic Preferred
- Communication - Intermediate Preferred
- Negotiation - Basic Preferred
- Principles of Investigation -Basic Preferred
- Value Determination - Basic Preferred
- Legal Knowledge - Basic Preferred
- Medical Knowledge -- Intermediate Preferred
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment (Frequently)
- Sitting (Can stand at will) (Continuously)
- Standing (Occasionally)
- Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key (Continuously)
- Working in a confined or restricted area (Frequently)
- Driving (Occasionally)
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.