Senior Data Scientist - Sales Effectiveness
The world isn’t standing still, and neither is Allstate. We’re moving quickly, looking across our businesses and brands and taking bold steps to better serve customers’ evolving needs. That’s why now is an exciting time to join our team. As a leader in a corporation with 83,000 employees and agency force members, you’ll have a hand in transforming not only Allstate but a dynamic industry. You’ll have opportunities to take risks, challenge the status quo and shape the future for the greater good.
You’ll do all this in an environment of excellence and the highest ethical standards – a place where values such as integrity, inclusive diversity and accountability are paramount. We empower every employee to lead, drive change and give back where they work and live. Our people are our greatest strength, and we work as one team in service of our customers and communities.
Everything we do at Allstate is driven by a shared purpose: to protect people from life’s uncertainties so they can realize their hopes and dreams. For 89 years we’ve thrived by staying a step ahead of whatever’s coming next – to give customers peace of mind no matter what changes they face. We acted with conviction to advocate for seat belts, air bags and graduated driving laws. We help give survivors of domestic violence a voice through financial empowerment. We’ve been an industry leader in pricing sophistication, telematics, digital photo claims and, more recently, device and identity protection. We are the Good Hands. We don’t follow the trends. We set them.
Data Discovery and Decision Science (D3) is the research and analytics organization at Allstate. We are solving some of today’s most complicated analytics problems, making the lives of our Allstate colleagues easier and more productive, and driving our mission to deliver perfect insurance solutions to our customers. We are avid about learning and applying new tools and techniques to get the most value from our massive data resources. As a Senior Data Scientist in D3, you will get 10% of your time to innovate, work on your own initiatives, learn, collaborate, and teach. In partnership with technology and the business, we are incorporating analytics into every aspect of the enterprise. We are deeply committed to developing ourselves and others as a path to success.
In this role, you will be responsible for helping Allstate’s sales team maximize every direct sales opportunity through your understanding of consumer value and producer sales effectiveness. You’ll accomplish this by leading the use of data to make decisions that improve business outcomes for the direct sales organization. This includes developing and managing new machine learning and predictive modeling algorithms and searching for and integrating new data that improves our results. You’ll be partnering with multiple areas, including Direct Sales, Marketing, Technology and Data Strategy to evangelize experimentation and integration of analytics that support the consumer to customer journey. As a senior member of the team, you’ll also play a role in the mentoring and support of new data scientists.
- Uses best practices to develop complex statistical, machine learning techniques to build models that address business needs and to improve the accuracy of our data and data-driven decisions
- Reviews, evaluates and communicates appropriateness of modeling techniques and results to team, leadership and stakeholders to ensure these are well understood and incorporated into business processes. Develops and executes communication strategy, keeping stakeholders informed and finding opportunities to influence the direction of work.
- Collaborates with the team and works on data and complex business problems in order to improve the effectiveness of business decisions and business results through designing, building, and partnering to implement machine learning/predictive models. Understands the business’ problems to identify the optimal modeling approach.
- Identifies languages and tools that can bring efficiencies or needed techniques to the team. With coaching can identify new areas of data, research and models that can solve business problems.
- Utilizes effective project planning techniques to break down moderately complex and occasionally complex machine learning/predictive modeling and/or development projects into tasks and ensure deadlines are kept
- Mentors and develops others
Education and Experience
- Master’s or PhD
- 3 or more years of relevant experience
- Experience in managing and manipulating large, complex datasets and ability to analyze and interpret moderate to complex concepts
- Ability to provide written and oral interpretation of highly specialized terms and data, and ability to present this data to others with different levels of expertise
- Demonstrated Analytic Agility and ability to quickly learn and switch topics
- Ability to use and learn a wide variety of tools and languages to achieve results
- Ability to code and develop prototypes in various languages
- Experience in using statistical modeling and/or machine learning techniques to build models that have driven company decision making
- Experience with advanced system programing
- Experience working with Agile team
- Knowledge of advanced machine learning techniques and libraries
- Knowledge of full stack development
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click “here” for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click “here” for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster click “here”. This poster provides information concerning the laws and procedures for filing complaints of violations of the laws with the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs
To view the FMLA poster, click “here”. This poster summarizing the major provisions of the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and telling employees how to file a complaint.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race (include traits historically associated with race, including, but not limited to, hair texture and protective hairstyles), religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment.