Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryThe Analytics & Research team is looking for a Senior Consultant to support the pricing initiatives for the commercial lines businesses. You will work closely with the team to support projects in our mid-market and small commercial P&C and Auto products.
The incumbent conducts the requisite analyses, with emphasis on building predictive models and project support and provides technical and quantitative support for a predictive modeling function that contributes to a business, product or service.
The incumbent serves as a subject matter expert in one or more of the following: advanced statistical analyses, Actuarial and/or research methods, Business knowledge and Line of Business knowledge.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Prepares and analyzes data to be used in predictive modeling projects.
- Analyze/interpret data, draw business inferences, develop reports and articulate findings for target audience.
- Perform a variety of advanced statistical analyses including data mining and actuarial research techniques.
- Developing both new and improved pricing models using advanced actuarial techniques. Interpreting and validating model results.
- Develop and maintain benchmark pricing tools.
- Present analysis and recommendations to target audience and securing their buy in.
- Participate in or responsible for routine research projects, and/or supporting analyses on a number of different projects simultaneously.
- Working on cross-functional teams as part of international projects.
- Proactively stay abreast of industry, developments, changing trends and jurisdictional issues. Attend various seminars and conference as appropriate.
- Bachelor Degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Finance, Actuarial Science or Computer Science.
- 2 years of relevant work experience in research and/or advanced analytic work.
- Previous work experience in statistical analysis required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Basic working knowledge of modeling/research/analytics or actuarial science.
- Ability to read/revise/review statistical software programs.
- Advanced SAS skills.
- Advanced Excel and VBA skills.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Forging Synergy
- Communicating Effectively
- Leveraging Differences
- Building & Mending Relationships
- Participative Management
- Leading Self:
- Openness to Influence, Flexibility
- Self Awareness
- Seeks Opportunities to Learn
- Leadership Stature
- Business Acumen:
- Understanding and knowledge of key business knowledge areas (e.g. product, enterprise, industry, claim process and competitors) that enable project work.
- Critical Thinking:
- Ability to take action in solving problems while exhibiting judgment and a realistic understanding of issues; ability to use reason; review facts, identify inconsistencies and weigh options; ability to make logical and timely decisions that address the right issues.
- Modeling: Ability to develop intermediate models and interpret model results.
- Statistics: Understanding of intermediate statistics underlying data models; ability to apply new statistical procedures to work.
- Computer Proficiency: Ability to read/revise/review a statistical software program (e.g. R, SAS, SPSS); Ability to create intermediate programs from scratch.
- Demonstrates intermediate ability and knowledge of database principles, data profiling, statistics and data modeling and can apply this knowledge in the full range of typical situations with minimal or no guidance. Requires guidance handling novel or more complex situations.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing accommodation to persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during the recruitment or interview process we will work with you to accommodate your needs.