Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryBusiness Insurance (BI) Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) is a fast-paced department with high visibility to BI Leadership responsible for providing financial & analytical support to business partners across BI. Within FP&A, the market intelligence team analyzes economic, market and competitor information to keep the pulse of the industry and inform partners of any new or changing trends. This individual will have responsibility for:
- Performing and validating financial analysis, both routine and ad hoc, to help interpret trends and variances in business performance, competitor results, distribution, and topics relevant to the P&C industry.
- Synthesizing data and presenting exhibits, results, observations and recommendations to cross functional peers and often to leadership.
This role has three major components:
Quarterly Competitive Intelligence
Act as a Team Lead responsible for managing and reviewing Financial Leadership Development Program participant's assessment of key competitor results. Participants will listen to earning calls, summarize key points and update various exhibits which will be reviewed and edited by this role.
Prepare quarterly Competitive Intelligence presentation for Senior Finance and Business Leaders outlining key trends and observations with the P&C industry and key competitors.
Monthly / Ongoing Reporting & Analysis:
Prepare, evaluate and validate complex internal and/or external financial and operational reports, both routine and ad-hoc.
Perform analysis and interpretation of trends and variances in business performance, interacting with cross functional peers on a frequent basis. Validate analyses.
Identify and use appropriate tools to obtain, compile and analyze more complex data necessary to support more advanced financial reports and analysis, and provide input on potential tool utilization enhancements.
Assist in tactical production of overall strategic plan, including the understanding of impact of competitor, market and industry landscape.
Special Projects / Deep Dives:
Take on periodic short-term assignments to analyze market trends or key competitors for Operating Committee, Management Committee, and/or Board presentations
Address Leadership or Cross Functional peer requests by researching market trends or competitor results from various sources to understand trends, summarize results and present materials for their consumption.
Various ad-hoc analysis and projects directly supporting Business Insurance Leadership
Strong desire to learn, research, and find answers to questions efficiently and completely. Strong business and financial acumen are critical with knowledge of the P&C insurance industry, key competitors and relevant market themes and strategies a plus. Experience with business presentations to craft the financial story and outline trends for consumption by various business and finance partners. Ability to work independently with general direction and oversight from Team Lead. Technology savvy with the ability to digitize our competitor and industry intel to increase overall organization access and utility of the information. Knowledge of TM1 or key financial tools and systems also considered helpful.
Other Desirable Skills/Traits:
Strong desire to learn, engage and take on complex assignments for senior leadership consumption. Strong project and deadline management to support a fast-paced and dynamic working environment. Ability to participate and engage meaningfully with senior leaders as a contributor of thoughts, provider of findings and author of analyses and recommendations.
- Minimum of 2 years of related experience.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree in finance or accounting preferred.
- Typically 3-4 years of related experience.
- General knowledge of Financial Analysis concepts and processes.
- General Knowledge: Possesses sufficient knowledge to perform most work in normal situations.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- General knowledge of the insurance business.
- Intermediate analytic skills.
- General knowledge of accounting practices and principles.
- Intermediate data utilization skills to access and gather data, including a basic understanding of what the data represents.
- Intermediate written and verbal communication skills.
- Intermediate time management/ prioritization skills.
- Intermediate ability to solve problems and suggest solutions to problems.
- Takes responsibility for decisions and actions.
- Intermediate working knowledge of Microsoft Office (e.g. Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Intermediate project management skills.
- Ability to identify customers needs and take appropriate action to meet those needs.
- Ability to work well in tight timeframes and deadlines.
- Intermediate skill/competency level: demonstrates solid knowledge and ability; can apply the competency with minimal or no guidance, in the full range of typical situations. Requires guidance handling novel or more complex situations.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment (Frequently)
- Sitting (can stand at will) (Frequently)
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.