Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryProduce and underwrite new and renewal business from assigned brokers in a market segment. Consistently achieve budgeted financial results (premium, loss ratio, retention, commissions, pricing, new business, premium collection, and expense management) through execution of market segment strategies. Interact and collaborate with a team of market segment colleagues and other critical internal/external business associates. Position involves both outside and inside sales and includes direct responsibility for brokerage development and management within a book of business.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Underwrite and assess risk for products and accounts in a market segment. Make appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority in addition to considered, intelligent, and complete recommendations to segment/business leadership. Consistent with Travelers underwriting principles underwrite more complex accounts and risks and consider different approaches toward risks to maximize profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits, indemnity, security). Make prompt, sound decisions within underwriting authority and based on appropriate underwriting information. Negotiate terms and conditions consistent with market segment requirements and standards within submission timeframe. Understand and execute segment strategies to produce budgeted results. Continuously manage book of business (maintain quality of business required by market segment strategy). Accountable for accurate underwriting documentation/ information in account management systems and adherence to documentation standards. Understand, embrace, execute, and foster Travelers Canada and Business Segment Guiding Principles/Best Practices. Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with colleagues in Head Office, Risk Control, Claims, Actuarial, and as needed, any other parts of the organization. May act as a Regional or resident industry expert. Actively engage and seek out training opportunities within market segment to further develop industry expertise. SALES MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIES. Develop and leverage productive brokerage/client relationships through a high level of visibility and using a disciplined sales management approach (e.g., planning and follow-up for broker and prospective customer visits/meetings) in support of business objectives. Effectively develop and execute sales plans. Sales activity should include some of the larger and more important brokers/clients. Create and achieve sales plans that identify and capture new business opportunities and effectively cross sell Travelers products/businesses (e.g., Business Insurance, Financial and Professional Services, Surety). Act as a responsible business partner with assigned brokers and clients, managing interests of Travelers Canada. Seek out and maintain collaborative relationships with colleagues in other business segments and Regions to foster business development. Actively participate in regularly scheduled market segment underwriting and/or sales meetings. Demonstrate superior customer service standards (consistency, quick response, knowledge of products). Convince / persuade others to help achieve underwriting, sales and production goals and understand and work towards strategic objectives. Customer interaction focuses on meeting customer expectations for response time and knowledge of products and business. Demonstrate operational excellence by complying with Best Practices, and managing desk to meet customer expectations. Work strategically and tactically with brokers to ensure appropriate level of understanding of company goals and objectives. Represent the organization to internal and external customers. Conduct self in a professional manner both internally and externally.
What is Specialty Insurance?
From the largest bank to the smallest charity we underwrite and insure a diverse portfolio of accounts for a wide variety of specialized coverages.
Financial Institutions: Products include Directors and Officers Liability, Employment Practices Liability, CyberRisk, Kidnap and Ransom, Crime, Fiduciary Liability, and Errors and Omission Liability.
Public Company Liability: Products include Directors and Officers Liability, Employment Practices Liability, CyberRisk, Kidnap and Ransom, Crime, and Fiduciary Liability.
Private and Non-profit Business: Products include Directors & Officers Liability, Employment Practices Liability, Fiduciary Liability, Miscellaneous Professional Liability, Crime, Kidnap and Ransom and, Identity Fraud Expense Reimbursement.
Professional Liability: miscellaneous professional liability insurance is essential to cover the errors and omissions exposures of a variety of professionals.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelors degree. Bachelor of Commerce ,Economics, Finance
- In some lines of business, relevant agent/broker experience may be appropriate.
- Typically has 3-5 years of relevant underwriting experience.
- Previous Commercial underwriting experience preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing accommodation to persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during the recruitment or interview process we will work with you to accommodate your needs.