Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryWorking collaboratively in a cross-functional environment, you are responsible for profitability, growth and retention of the environmental and contractors professional liability business, participate in market and growth strategies, and share environmental expertise throughout the enterprise.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Underwrite environmental and contractors professional accounts to achieve overall growth and profit objectives in accordance with business line strategy. Under general direction:
- Analyze environmental liability exposures on industrial, commercial, and contractors business and professional liability exposures on contractors business, including those of the most complex accounts;
- Develop pricing and proposed terms, and manage all account activities;
- Consider different approaches to maximize account profitability while meeting customer needs;
- Communicate and negotiate the most complex terms independently and effectively;
- Ensure contractual obligations are met
- Uses acquired skills and knowledge to assist less experienced employees
- Independently manage assigned territory and book of business, ranging up to the most complex accounts
- With increasing independence, develops and executes on a plan to meet business objectives
Effectively manage external relationships including:
- Assess the market and prepare marketing plans that align tactical actions with business objectives and strategies;
- Work with other business units to support market penetration objectives and seeking out cross-sell opportunities.
- Meet with Brokers to develop and maintain positive and productive relationships. Represents Travelers and its underwriting strategies effectively to agents, employees and the community;
- Assist in new product roll-out and provide product education;
- Employ consultative approach to selling;
- Continuously seek market insight;
- Identify and capture new business opportunities
- Increase market presence
- 4 years of Account Executive/ Underwriting experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- In some lines of business, relevant agent/broker experience may be appropriate.
- Typically has 6-8 years of relevant Account Executive experience.
- Previous environmental underwriting experience preferred.
- Understands industry business operations and work methods, critical business issues and financial drivers that affect the region and local office.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the local insurance marketplace and effectively uses that knowledge to the Company's advantage; continuously seeks out local market insight; is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaches / mentors less experienced employees on an ongoing basis.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work activities.
- Uses acquired skills and knowledge to assist less experienced employees. Routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource.
Licensing or Certificates
- Valid drivers license or alternate means of personal transportation.
- CPCU designation preferred in some lines of business.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Business Perspective: Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the property & casualty industry to make decisions
- Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen: Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize profitability.
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment (Continuously)
- Sitting (can stand at will) (Frequently)
- Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key (Frequently)
- Driving (Occasionally)
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.