Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryAs a member of the Small Commercial Leadership team, this position is primarily responsible for leading the Sales and Distribution Teams to drive growth and profitability for the Small Commercial Business Segment. This position is also responsible for partnering with key members of our Middle Market Leadership to build the field distribution strategy that will allow us to fulfill our objective of bringing the full breadth and depth of Business Insurance to our Agents and Customers. This includes direct accountability for the Select's Inside Sales, Outside Sales and Agency Training functions, BI Sales & Distribution capability including Sales Analytics, and P&L leadership of the National Distribution channel.
This position reports to the President of Small Commercial.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- In partnership with Select & Business Insurance (BI) Field leadership team, creates a vision and sales strategy to lead the organization to future success.
- Translates the strategy into operational plans.
- Through Regional Vice Presidents, Sales Directors and Sales Executives, influences and drives effective BI Field and Select-specific sales strategies, best practices and cultural / behavioral attributes that will lead to sales and business success.
- Consistently delivers on business profit and revenue goals committed to in the Select financial plan.
- In partnership with the Middle Market Leadership team and BI Field VPs, establishes a high performing sales team and culture and effectively influences across a highly matrixed organization.
- Advances the BI sales analytic capability and other best practices in support of the BI vision of One Customer Served by One Team.
- Accountable for the profitability and growth of the National Distribution channel.
- Responsible for the identification and development of new streams of revenue, growth and retention of existing relationships, and full life cycle management of the business development and sales process.
- The role will partner horizontally across the organization to ensure effective distribution solutions and profitability tactics.
- Coordinates the sales planning process and the equitable assignment of sales plans and optimal resource allocation across agency segments.
- Sponsors and coordinates sales development venues & communication media, including Sales Executive Council & Sales Director calls, sales meetings, as well as Subject Matter Expert (SME) panels; Includes management & maintenance of internal communication platform to support best practices, processes, technology and reporting (e.g. Sales Executive Tool Box, implementation of Salesforce, etc.).
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required.
- 10 years of work experience in Sales or Underwriting required.
- 5 years of management experience in a senior leadership capacity required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Experience successfully managing a P&L.
- 15+ years insurance marketing or sales experience.
- Master's/Advanced degree preferred.
- Experience leading and working within a large matrixed organization.
- Experience with low, medium, and high volume business models.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Technical sales & marketing ability including superior knowledge of selling through intermediaries and distributors.
- Proven sales skills and ability to coach and mentor same.
- Able to influence without authority in a matrixed organization; able to understand and leverage internal resources to accomplish goals and objectives.
- Able to achieve actionable results through others, build and maintain strong and sustainable business relationships, and interact with all levels, both internal and external, to accomplish results.
- Master relationship management, collaboration, networking and negotiation skills.
- Ability to persuade and motivate others. Can effectively influence across multiple teams, senior leaders, organizations, and the enterprise. Ability to negotiate across Enterprise.
- Master written and verbal communication skills across all management levels, both internally and externally.
- Master presentation skills and proven ability to communicate persuasively and influence decision-making.
- Express ideas clearly and concisely; disseminate information about decisions, plans and activities.
- Proactively assess potential financial impacts of decisions across the enterprise, makes recommendation,s and acts when appropriate to implement.
- Demonstrate sound cost-effectiveness. Able to drive cost-reduction measures through innovative and creative solutions.
- Inspire and promote a vision.
- Understands the matrixed nature of the organization and works appropriately within it; effectively establishes collaborative relationships throughout the organization.
- Proven ability to lead a large, matrixed organization and work in a team environment.
- Supports management decisions and proactively acts as a change champion.
- Welcomes innovative ideas and is open to other views.
- Acts as a role model for employees and keeps a positive attitude.
- Proven ability to grow and evolve the skills and competencies of a team.
- Leads by example while encouraging ownership environment and consistently setting clear direction, goals and priorities for team.
- Puts success of organization and team above own interest.
- Gives and welcome feedback.
- Uses effective listening skills and communication to involve others, builds consensus and influences others in decision making.
- Has an accurate picture of strengths and weaknesses and is willing to improve.
- Takes ideas different from own seriously; shares responsibility and collaborates with others; accepts criticism well; doesn't assume a single best way.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.