Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryUnder general direction, responsible for the profitability, growth and retention of assigned book of business within a territory that is consistent with overall business line objectives. Marketing and underwriting responsibilities typically include: Underwriting new and renewal business on accounts of moderate to high complexity within assigned sub-territory/location(s). As a representative of the company, market to and develop relationships with agents and brokers. Working with Managing Director, implements business strategies to effectively achieve profit and growth objectives for assigned sub-territory/location(s). Working with other business units as appropriate to support market penetration objectives and seeking out cross-sell opportunities. In addition to managing a book of business ranging up to the most complex accounts within an assigned territory, manages a small group of Account Executives. May manage remote employees. Takes a portfolio view of their book of business to manage profitability. Staff management functions include, but are not limited to, coaching, training, planning and performance management in a supportive, team oriented, collaborative manner. The incumbent in this job is a manager.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Underwriting and Pricing:
- Underwrites primarily moderate to high complexity accounts and risks and considers different approaches toward risks to maximize profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits, indemnity, security).
- In support of the business, uses good judgment in making decisions within own underwriting authority and may provide input on more complex accounts.
- Provides input into the development of regional business plans.
- Implements business strategies to effectively achieve business objectives for assigned location(s).
- Initiates collaborative discussions.
Distribution and Agency Management:
- Effectively manages assigned agents/brokers by developing and maintaining relationships to write and retain accounts consistent with business unit appetite.
- With an increased level of independence, uses a consultative marketing/ sales culture and successfully employs consultative selling approach to market products to agents and brokers.
- Identifies and captures new business opportunities and effectively cross sells market segment and Travelers products/businesses.
- Develops agency sales/business plan and frequently partners with MD to develop region/group sales plan.
- May lead underwriting/agency meetings.
- May attend industry events.
- Negotiates without guidance.
- Executes Strategy and Drives Results.
- Demonstrates leadership, with an increased level of independence, by providing strategic direction and support to staff.
- Drives efforts to achieve quality results and promotes a spirit of always doing the right thing on behalf of the enterprise and the business.
- Business Planning and Collaboration:
- Effectively drives a collaborative business approach and fosters enterprise wide solutions to local business issues.
- In addition to leading self, effectively manages all facets of staff performance in order to achieve business objectives.
- Proactively recruits for talent and acquires high caliber people with a diversity of skills and backgrounds.
- Manages performance and provides honest, constructive feedback.
- Provides tangible rewards for significant achievements. Clearly differentiates rewards for top performers.
- Participates in and accountable for the training of less experienced Account Executives.
- Is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 4 years of Account Executive/ underwriting experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- 4 years of AE/ underwriting experience required.
- Typically has 6-8 years of relevant Account Executive experience.
- Understands industry business operations and work methods, critical business issues and financial drivers that affect the region and local office.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the local insurance marketplace and effectively uses that knowledge to the Company's advantage; continuously seeks out local market insight; is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaches/ mentors less experienced employees on an ongoing basis.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work activities. Regarded as a knowledge resource by team.
- Previous Commercial Accounts underwriting experience preferred.
Licensing or Certificates
- Valid drivers license or alternate means of personal transportation.
- CPCU designation preferred in some lines of business.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Business Perspective: Uses knowledge of internal and external factors impacting the property & casualty industry to make decisions
- Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen: Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize profitability.
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- People Management: Effectively manages all facets of staff performance in order to achieve business objectives.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment (Continuously)
- Sitting (can stand at will) (Frequently)
- Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key (Frequently)
- Driving (Occasionally)
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.