Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryUnder limited supervision, responsible for the production and retention of a profitable book of business within an assigned territory that is consistent with overall Bond and Specialty Insurance/Business Unit (BU) strategy and objectives. Primary responsibilities include: Underwriting new and renewal business Building and maintaining productive relationships with agents and brokers Consistently achieving superior budgeted financial results Collaborating with BU and region colleagues as well as internal/external business associates Sales, agency development and management Portfolio management at the BU strategy level The majority of the time will be spent managing a book of business Those in this role have the highest level of technical and sales expertise in the region/group and are seen as experts across the business unit (beyond region/group) This job does not manage others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Underwriting & Pricing:
- Underwrites and assesses risk for large renewals and new business items in conjunction with BU strategies.
- Considers different approaches toward risks to maximize profitability.
- Makes appropriate decisions within own underwriting authority.
- Underwrites the most demanding and most complex accounts/risks.
- Manages the submission and underwriting process for own agency plant.
- Is a region/group resource for less experienced underwriters.
- Can easily articulate whether or not account is within or outside underwriting appetite/strategy, along with the reasons for that determination.
- Is seen as a teacher to less experienced underwriters regarding appetite/strategy.
- Independently sets account strategy, and may partner with MD to set strategy for the group/Regional BU.
- Makes recommendations to underwriter 2, as appropriate.
- As Underwriter 2, assure that policies and accounts are effectively underwritten handled and documented in compliance with Business Unit and regulatory standards and requirements.
- Calculates key ratios and the most complex financial metrics, drawing conclusions about the financial health of an account.
- In addition to, or in lieu of, financials, may review other key metrics; makes decisions regarding pricing, capacity, terms and conditions based on those analyses on the most complex accounts.
- Proactively collaborates with regional and Home Office underwriters.
- Maintains accurate underwriting documentation and information.
- Meets quality assurance standards.
- Is a region/group resident expert and is seen as a leader in the marketplace/agency plant. May be seen as an industry expert.
- Manages flow of new and renewal business
- Leads agency training sessions. Is sought out by broker/agent for his/her expertise regarding industry and local issues.
- Primary agency or broker relationship is producer / internal broker.
- Sales Management/Marketing:
- Leverages agent/broker relationships to drive new business opportunities via existing relationships as well as where there is no existing relationship; continually prospects for new opportunities.
- Achieves and/or surpasses agency/broker visibility goals.
- Acts as a business partner to agents and brokers. Uses strong negotiation skills and deep product knowledge to meet the needs of the account.
- Develops agency plant sales/business plan and may partner with MD to develop region/group sales plan. Sales activities include the largest and most important agency/brokers/clients.
- Leads underwriting/agency meetings.
- Actively contributes in Region and/or Business Unit sales meetings and may lead those meetings.
- Regularly attends agency/broker events and/or industry functions. May play a leading role.
- Takes the initiative to partner with colleagues in other Bond and Specialty Insurance or Travelers BUs to cross sell all Travelers products.
- Is seen as a leader by peers in other BUs.
- Coaches / mentors.
- A minimum of 4 years of underwriting experience is required.
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 6 years of underwriting experience preferred.
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Understands industry business operations and work methods, critical business issues and financial drivers that affect the Company, BU, region and local office.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the local insurance marketplace and effectively uses that knowledge to Travelers advantage; continuously seeks out local market insight from others; is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaches / mentors less experienced employees on a regular basis.
- Resident expert on BU products/coverages and pricing and the links to strategy.
- Is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaches / mentors less experienced employees on a regular basis.
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day work.
Licensing or Certificates
- A current/valid drivers license is required.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Able to use all Bond and Specialty Insurance technology tools proficiently.
- Resolves significant conflict within and outside the organization without damaging relationships; is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaching / mentors others regarding successful negotiations.
- Takes ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance and results.
- Identifies current or future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound decision making.
- Remains energized and focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Demonstrates effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Provides service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Exercises sound judgment, makes decisions and commits to a position.
- Works with and includes people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Seeks out, builds, fosters and maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and achieve results.
- Works together in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Takes ideas different from own seriously; shares responsibility and collaborates with others; accepts criticism well; doesn't assume a single best way.
- Has an accurate picture of strengths and weaknesses and is willing to improve.
- Seeks out experiences that may change perspective or provide an opportunity to learn new things.
- Provides good role model for employees and keeps a positive attitude.
- Acts in accordance with stated values; follows through on promises; uses ethical considerations to guide decisions and actions.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Operates standard office equipment.
- Requires extended periods of computer use.
- Requires extended periods of sitting.
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.