Join our growing and dynamic legal team that supports Assurants Global Lifestyle business channels, and take your career to the next level!
The Senior Counsel role will provide advice, strategic and transactional support to Assurants Global Automotive segment. The position will be based in either Assurants corporate offices in Miami, Florida or Atlanta, Georgia, and will report to the Lead Counsel based in Miami, Florida.
- Provide advice, strategic and transactional support to sales, operations, marketing, finance, business development and product management groups in insurance and warranty segments. This requires continuing effort to understand the objectives of the business unit(s) and the key elements driving profitability.
- Draft, negotiate and interpret complex commercial agreements with clients, distributors, vendors and reinsurers. Work with contracts constitutes a majority of the day to day demands.
- Stay abreast of the evolving legislative and regulatory environments affecting the assigned business(es) and advise internal and external clients as to appropriate courses of action to maintain compliance.
- Identify potential legal risks &/or impact to existing businesses, as appropriate. Counsel & advise business management on ramifications of those risks and potential strategies to mitigate those risks.
- Supervise outside legal counsel from time to time.
- Bachelors degree and Law Degree (JD) from an accredited law school.
- Membership in good standing in the bar of at least one state.
- 6-8 years of experience providing legal counsel on general business issues and contractual issues in a law firm or corporate legal department.
- Ability to travel as necessary, up to 25%.
- A curious nature and quick learning ability will aid in the frequently-changing nature of the business, industry and regulatory climate.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization internally and externally.
- Strong drafting and negotiation skills.
- Comfort managing multiple priorities with varying levels of urgency, and commitment to meeting agreed-upon deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to influence without formal authority.
- Integrity, discretion, resilience and team orientation.
- Ability to evaluate fact situations, identify legal issues, locate applicable legal authority and analyze current statutes, regulations and case law and recommend appropriate alternative course of action and direction based on these. Aptitude for identifying risks and recommending appropriate and defensible courses of action.
- Ability to understand business strategy and basic financial aspects of business ventures.
- Ability to work within ones scope of expertise with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated commitment to Code of Ethics and Canons of Professional Responsibility.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, MS Office, Word), Westlaw experience.
- In-depth knowledge of statutes and regulations governing insurance and related products.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following industries/segments: consumer goods retailing, automotive distribution and/or service, retail installment sales, consumer finance, or mobile electronics/telecommunications.
- Familiarity with reinsurance concepts and transactions, related tax implications and cross border reinsurance.
- Experience with collection actions against commercial entities and/or bankruptcy.
- Experience litigating complex commercial disputes.