Underwriter - Middle Market Commercial
Middle Market Commercial Underwriter
The Middle Market Commercial Underwriter will analyze new and renewal commercial risks for Middle Market accounts and decides whether to provide coverage and if so under what conditions. This position will also focus on developing the relationships with producers and by focusing on the sales aspect of Underwriting. The Middle Market Underwriter serves as a vital link between company personnel, independent agencies and vendors. This role will be based in the Charlotte, North Carolina metro area and responsible for Harford Mutual’s southern states.
- Solicit, underwrite and sell new business accounts within framework of company underwriting guidelines.
- Evaluate renewal accounts by reviewing experience, correspondence and inspections to determine if the account should be non-renewed, renewed, or modified.
- Service accounts as result of requests for action or information received by phone, mail, or in person from agents and policyholders in order to develop and maintain sound working relationships with agents.
- Establish and maintain pipeline of new business accounts as well as identify cross sell and up sell opportunities.
- Provide recommendations (which are requirements for continuation of coverage) to agents on certain risks based on inspection reports and control compliance through follow-up with agents.
- Review and analyze claim reports and decide if cause of loss requires underwriting action and if so, notify agent of decision.
- Complete file documentation according to company requirements.
- Submit selected risks for reinsurance based on the line of business, size and type of risk involved, and the reinsurance agreement we have with the reinsurer.
- Provide training, guidance, and counseling to commercial business service staff.
- Frequently meet with assigned agents to develop and maintain relationships.
- Maintain links with professional organizations, other company agents and personnel, etc. to stay abreast of changing market conditions.
- Work in unison with agents and other departments to grow and maintain a profitable book of business.
- 20% - 30% travel is required for the assigned territory
- Performs other duties or special projects as required or as assigned by a supervisor.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree; Degree in Risk and Insurance Management preferred
- Minimum of 3-5 years commercial lines underwriting and/or marketing experience
- Previous experience in writing Middle Market accounts is preferred
- Completion of or participation in the CPCU or CIC programs
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference
- Strong collaborating skills, and an ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with frequent deadlines; high energy, self-motivated and proactive
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to multitask, and be flexible with regard to workload and assignments
- Ability to exercise judgment
The Harford Mutual Insurance Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.