Sales Executive - Small Commercial
- Career Level
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
Berkley North Pacific (a W.R. Berkley Company) is a regional property/casualty insurance carrier, providing a wide variety of commercial coverage to businesses located in the Pacific Northwest. Our mission is to be the premier provider of insurance solutions and carrier of choice for a select group of agents and their clients. We achieve this by developing and delivering flexible insurance products specific to our customers, and backed with value-added claims, risk management and policy services.
Berkley North Pacific is based in Seattle, with local offices in Portland, Boise, and Salt Lake City. Named a Best Place to Work in Insurance for the past four years by Business Insurance magazine, we offer employees an engaging environment with opportunities for professional growth and career advancement.
This position is based in Bellevue, Washington and requires some travel. We offer a competitive salary & benefits package including medical/dental/vision, paid time-off, company-paid life and disability insurance, company-paid training programs and more.
Job Summary: Primarily responsible to act as a business leader selling small commercial insurance products and developing relationships as a trusted advisor to our agency partners. Designs tactical sales plans that provide profitable growth of respective segments while delivering on the Company’s profit and revenue goals. Effectively delivers sales success within our framework of corporate values.
Specific Job Duties include:
- Identifies Small Business opportunities by understanding market industries, including critical needs and buying habits; researching and analyzing sales options that differentiate the Company and its value proposition from competitors.
- Develops annual business plan for assigned territory that matches market potential, customer base, competitive environment and the organization’s underwriting appetite
- Assists in the development of proposals for the point-of -sale; participates in and coordinates sales presentations
- Establishes strong producer relationships through high visibility, clear knowledge of the company underwriting strategy and joint sales planning
- Facilitates working relationship between our distribution partners and small commercial underwriters.
- Owns the business development process and building of active pipeline of profitable new business and renewal retention
- Uses available automation tools to support the sales process and identify opportunities for additional account rounding prospects
- Works collaboratively with other business units to remove roadblocks and administrative obstacles, ensuring our partners view Berkley North Pacific as a company with whom it is easy to do business
- Prequalifies accounts against the Company’s underwriting and financial benchmarks
- Trains agency personnel in Small Commercial automated tools. Serves as backup to the Automation Specialist in the implementation and on-going training relative to ADVANTAGE-Agency Portal
- Manages agency compensation programs for participating agencies (e.g. profit-sharing, new business overrides, etc.)
- Clearly articulates the Small Commercial vision to underwriting team and agency customers
- Develops and maintains superior knowledge of competitor products and capabilities along with local market trends
- Has a passion for winning and competes to win (lifts others on the team to achieve, improve)
- Strong technical multi-line underwriting skills
- Solid knowledge of Property & Casualty business and products
- Underwriting experience in commercial P&C of 3+ years, preferably with a national carrier
- Four year college degree or equivalent related business experience